1. Computing

Tom Nelson

The Unexpected Rumors: WWDC 2009

By May 19, 2009

With the World Wide Developers Conference just around the corner, many Mac users are gearing up for new products from Apple. On the top of the list is Snow Leopard, the newest version of OS X. We all expect Apple to demonstrate Snow Leopard at WWDC, and reveal a firm release date. We also expect Apple to show the third-generation iPhone.

With those satisfying but obvious rumors out of the way, what can we expect in the way of surprises this year? Here’s my list of ‘maybes.’

• Updated MacBook and MacBook Pro. This would be a minor update, just slightly faster processors. But Apple may surprise us with integrated 3G modems for cellular data connections, and a new GPU option.
  • Blu-ray support. Even before Snow Leopard arrives, a new version of iTunes will include Blu-ray capabilities, allowing you to play Blu-ray videos within the iTunes environment. Of course, you’ll need a third-party Blu-ray player, until Apple starts selling Macs with built-in Blu-ray devices.
  • Macs come to Walmart. Walmart is rumored to be expanding its electronics section in response to the failures of Circuit City and other electronics vendors. Along with this expansion would come new brand-specific areas within Walmart stores. Walmart already sells iPhones and iPods; if the company added MacBooks and iMacs, it would want them in its stores in time for back to school promotions, making the WWDC a good time and place to make the announcement. It would also please developers who are looking for more avenues to increase sales.
  • At least one Steve Jobs sighting. Steve won’t be making an official appearance, but I would not be surprised to see him, along with a small armada of Apple management, holding sway at a press conference with selected news outlets after the first day’s events.
Comments
May 20, 2009 at 6:38 pm
(1) Jack Barker says:

I know folks are mostly concerned with their own financial situation, but I sure hope that Apple don’t create and alliance with Walmart. They don’t treat their employees at all well in regards to pay and benefits. I for one don’t want to make a cheap purchase on the backs of low-paid workers.

May 20, 2009 at 7:15 pm
(2) Meg says:

Snow Leopard? Come on. Can’t we just go back to numbering, so I’ll know what version I have, what’s current, what’s older, what’s newer, etc.? What happened to the ideas of intuitive, simple, obvious, user-friendly systems that attracted us in the first place? I can live with ’10dot5dot2′, but ‘snow leopard’?I can’t wait to see how Wal-mart will shelve Tiger, Jaguar, Snow Leopard. Next to animal crackers?

May 21, 2009 at 5:46 pm
(3) tom Nelson says:

Hi Jack,

I think alliance is too strong a word. Apple won’t feature Walmart at the expense of its other retail outlets. So you won’t be seeing any Walmart price slashing on the Apple products it carries, unless of course Walmart wants to slash those prices on its own and take the loss itself, something Walmart has rarely done.

I can’t imagine Walmart asking Apple to lower prices on product xyz, and Apple saying sure, anything you want!

Tom

May 21, 2009 at 5:47 pm
(4) tom Nelson says:

Hi Meg,

The big question is, what will Apple do when it runs out of cats? We haven’t seen Ocelot, Lion, Serval, Caracal, or Bobcat (Lynx) yet, and of course there are dozens of domestic breeds.

I wonder what animal Apple will use for OS X v11.

Tom

May 21, 2009 at 6:58 pm
(5) Randy Burleson says:

I’m anxiously awating Cheetah! The Fastest Cat.

May 26, 2009 at 2:02 pm
(6) pablo says:

@ tom Nelson
“OS X v11″
doesn’t make much sense, does it? cause it’d be called mac “o” “es” “ten” version “eleven”
if they keep up that namind scheme it would be mac OS XI, or mac OS v.11

May 26, 2009 at 2:05 pm
(7) pablo says:

@Randy Burleson

Mac OS X v.10.0 was already named Cheetah/Puma

May 26, 2009 at 2:08 pm
(8) pablo says:

my bad, v10.0 was Cheetah, 10.1 was Puma

June 1, 2009 at 2:47 am
(9) mike says:

umm meg… apple does use numbers. “snow leopard” is a codename. good call. oh and you cant currently buy anything before os x “leopard” so why would they all the sudden keep a stock of jaguar, tiger, leopard and snow leopard? they wouldnt. mmk then. maybe next time you have a thought, let it go.

June 1, 2009 at 7:38 pm
(10) Brook Warner says:

you know that Steve Jobs hates blu ray right? with good reason too. why invest in last centuries technology? its got moving bits. therefore, its bad.