1. Technology

Tom Nelson

Battery Life in Magic Mouse Pulls a Disappearing Act

By November 27, 2009

The Magic Mouse comes with AA alkaline batteries pre-installed and ready for use. Some early Magic Mouse users report that battery life is abysmal, though: a mere 30 days or so.

Battery Life in Magic Mouse Pulls a Disappearing Act

Courtesy of Apple

The batteries, and not the mouse, may be the culprit. In most cases, the Magic Mouse comes with Energizer batteries, which are a well-respected brand, but it's hard to know how long they've been on the shelf before being installed in the Magic Mouse. It's likely that new, fresh batteries will last longer than the 30 days some users are getting out of the initial batch.

Of course, battery life also depends on usage. The Magic Mouse is supposed to go into hibernation when it detects a lack of use, which should help extend battery life. Turning the Magic Mouse off manually when you're done using it, with the switch on the mouse's belly, should help push battery life a little further.

Another option to get the most life out of the Magic Mouse's batteries is to replace them with either Lithium-Ion AA or rechargeable NiMH (Nickel Metal Hydride) batteries. Both should provide longer life; the NiMH batteries have the added benefit of being rechargeable.

If you decide to go the rechargeable route, look for NiMH AAs with a 2900 Mah (Milla amp hour) rating or better. Many of the bubble-packed, brand name rechargeables you find in the checkout aisle of your local hardware store have a 2300 to 2500 Mah rating. While they will work, they won't have as much staying power, and you'll find yourself recharging them fairly often. The 2900 Mah batteries are sometimes referred to as 'High Capacity' or other marketing babble.

Lithium AAs are also available in various Mah ratings, and once again the 2900 Mah rating is a good value to look for. The advantage to the Lithium batteries is a much longer battery life than standard alkaline AAs. They also last longer than the NiMH batteries do on a single charge, but they're not rechargeable.

Let us know the battery life you're seeing with your Magic Mouse.

Comments
November 29, 2009 at 12:32 am
(1) Mr. Nobody says:

I got my iMac (and Magic Mouse) on the first day the new iMacs came out, and that darn mouse has gone through the batteries that came with it AND a brand new set, already! I do work on the computer for very long hours, but the battery life isn’t even CLOSE to what was advertised. I will buy a wired mouse, and would not recommend the Magic Mouse to anyone who uses their mouse a lot.

December 2, 2009 at 9:49 pm
(2) Martin Fathers says:

I am very surprised at this concern. I have had my Magic Mouse since first released and I am still on the first (original) set of batteries. Maybe I was lucky enough to get a set of batteries that were relatively new. I would recommend this mouse to all – I love the convenience of a mouse that I can use with my MacBook Pro whilst it is on a stand with my bluetooth keyboard and now this mouse.

December 2, 2009 at 9:59 pm
(3) glennbah says:

I too ordered the Magic Mouse the day it went on sate at the Apple store. I am not only on the original set of batteries, but am still at 56%. I spend about six hours a day or more, and not close to installing new batteries.

December 3, 2009 at 4:40 pm
(4) jordan Gladden says:

My first set of batteries lasted 30 days at 8 hrs/day use without turning the mouse off at night. I will post with the results of the second set of batteries.

December 3, 2009 at 5:56 pm
(5) jeroen says:

bought it nov 4th in New York flagship store
today (within a month) I had to change batteries
poor performance
hope to atribute this to the supplied batteries….

December 4, 2009 at 2:56 pm
(6) Chris says:

Bought the 21.5″ iMac on November 4. Today (December 4) had to replace the batteries. This is in an office environment… M-F, 8:30-5:30. We’ll see how the FRESH Energizers I just put in will last…

December 5, 2009 at 11:51 am
(7) Marcia says:

“Turning the Magic Mouse off manually when you’re done using it, with the switch on the mouse’s belly, should help push battery life a little further.”

I do this with my (Mighty)Apple Mouse, but that means you have to reconnect it to Bluetooth using the drop down on the menubar. That means using a trackpad on a laptop, or plugging a usb mouse in, on any other Mac. I don’t know why Bluetooth doesn’t just recognize the mouse when it’s turned on. Maybe this has been fixed with the Magic Mouse.

May 10, 2011 at 10:00 pm
(8) Topher says:

I got the Magic Mouse this past Christmas, along with the Apple Charger. The charger comes with 6 batteries. I used the regular alkaline batteries that came with the mouse, just long enough to charge a pair that came with the charger. The next day changed out the Energizers with the Apple ones, and put the second pair in the charger. The third pair of batteries are still in their original plastic in my desk drawer. When the Apple batteries run low (the Mac prompts me to let me know) I swap them out. Turn the mouse off, pop off the back, swap out the batteries, put the back on, turn the switch on, set the mouse down, and click. It automatically re-syncs with my Mac in about a second. No problems, no frustrations. Everything works nicely. I think I have to swap out the batteries about once a month or so, but I just leave a fresh set in the charger full time, so there’s always a set ready to go.

December 6, 2009 at 8:43 am
(9) Steve says:

What? 2900 over 2400??!? Correct me if I’m wrong, but don’t the higher amperage batteries last LESS longer… due to the fact that they kick out more power? Think of it as a water pipeline… the higher the amperage, the fatter the pipes — hence more water comes out at one time. If you’ve got thinner pipes, less water would be flowing. That’s what amperage is all about — the amount of electrons flowing through… ain’t it?

I switched to lower amperage NiMH batteries simply due to the fact that they seem to discharge less quickly than the higher amperage batteries. I got this tip from Googling. FYI mice are not energy hogs, so they don’t require high amperage batteries as do digital cameras (digital cameras need those quick energy bursts to charge the flash quickly).

In the end you would want to get rechargeable batteries that discharge SLOWLY. THAT’S how you can prolong battery life.

December 6, 2009 at 12:10 pm
(10) Tom Nelson says:

No, not quite. The rate at which power is drawn from a battery is not a function of the battery’s size; it’s a function of the size of the load connected to it.

In the case of a mouse, the load varies from very little current being drawn when it sleeps, to higher levels of current drawn when it’s active. I don’t have the actual specs here, but let’s make some up for the sake of illustration.

Let’s say the Magic Mouse draws 20 millamps of current (we know it will actually fluctuate from a very low level to a high level, but for clarity, let’s just assume a steady amount of current draw). With the battery providing a reservoir of power equal to its amp hour rating that the mouse can draw from, we can determine how long the battery can last in an ideal condition.

2300 milliamp hour battery:

2300/20 = 115 hours of available battery power.

2900 Milliamp hour battery

2900/20 = 145 hours of available battery power.

Clearly, in an ideal condition, the larger the amp hour rating of the battery, the longer the Magic Mouse can be used.

Remember, barring a catastrophic failure, the mouse cannot consume more than 20 millamps of current at any moment, no matter how large a power reserve you have available.

Another factor to consider with NiHM batteries is that they tend to self-discharge. Due to internal leakage, they discharge to the air around them. The self-discharge rate for NiHM batteries is 5-10% during the first 24 hours, and 0.5 to 1% per 24 hours after that. Because the rate of self-discharge is determined by temperature, increasing the amp hour rating of the battery only serves to increase the amount of time the self-discharge takes to occur, not lessen it.

If you want to use your water pipe analogy, consider the Magic Mouse as having a water supply pipe that is 1 inch in diameter. Connecting that supply pipe to a reservoir with a 5-inch pipe will not make the mouse consume the water any faster than its 1-inch supply pipe is capable of. The 1-inch supply pipe of the mouse is the limiting factor. No matter how big a pipe you connect to it, the water still has to go through the 1-inch pipe at some point, and that will restrict the flow.

Tom

December 9, 2009 at 11:59 am
(11) Marko says:

There is Low Self-Dischagre type NiMH cells available, like Sanyo eneloops. Capacity is a bit less, only 2100 mAh, but after few days it is about same as the older higher cells. And some of the higher capacity cells doesn’t actually have that much capacity, even if it is printed on the side of the cell.

December 10, 2009 at 6:27 pm
(12) Morris Wheeler says:

I recieved my iMac and Magic Mouse on November 22nd. The batteries died today December 10. I was out of town with the mouse shut off for 5 of those 17 days. That means the batteries lasted a total of 12 days. If that is going to be typical, I will go back to my USB powered mouse.

December 15, 2009 at 7:38 pm
(13) SCY says:

That song and dance about the batteries is nonsense. My previous logitech mouse was going strong over a year after I got it on the fist batch of batteries and this magic mouse is down 20% after only a couple days of use…no excuse for this wahtsoever

December 17, 2009 at 6:01 pm
(14) Alexander says:

I have the Magic Mouse about 4-5 weeks ago… i just put in the 3rd set of batteries in :o (
It is true i use it almost 15 hours a day, every day, but i also turn it off when i’m not in front of the computer…

For example the other mouse i have is a middle class wireless Logitech (also laser), which is on its second battery set (and i got it on May 22, and used it until i got the Magic mouse, and it is still in use by my wife with that same second battery set)

I love the design, it is quite ergonomic (feels a bit awkward for the first day or two, but then you get used to it…)… The performance though is poor compared to the before mentioned Logitech. That is mainly so because the Logitech has WAY better “grip” on different surfaces unlike the Magic mouse, which is kinda picky as of on which surface it wants to work…

So overall – it’s is a fine mouse… but except for the show off and the love to great design, I can hardly recommend it as a heavy duty working device.

December 20, 2009 at 11:12 am
(15) armando says:

it’s milli amp hour NOT MILLA.

January 4, 2010 at 7:35 pm
(16) Andrew Mac says:

The issue is not the batteries. I also had a logitech mouse and the batteries lasted almost a year. The magic mouse is ok but it sounds like you are dragging it on a chalk board. I would have made it stationary and the surface manoeuvrable.
Watch Mac do that now…lol…;)

January 8, 2010 at 4:31 am
(17) Michael says:

The original Energizer batteries that came with my mouse lasted for about two months. I replaced them with Energizer rechargeables, and one week later, the battery level is down to 52% (but my rechargeables are a few years old though).

January 13, 2010 at 11:12 pm
(18) pk says:

I’ve been through 3-4 sets of batteries so far. I use my mouse 8+ hours a day, I’m lucky to get 30 days out of my mouse. It’s more like 3 weeks. This is using lithium batteries.

I also really miss having the nub ‘button’ on my old mighty mouse for exposé.

But I bought an apple wired mouse, and after a couple of months of the magic mouse, it felt clunky, unresponsive, and cheap. So, I’m just dealing with crappy battery life.

Apple should definitely revise their battery life marketing b.s. though, or put an asterisk that clarifies that statement along the lines of “people who don’t really use their computer for work”.

January 19, 2010 at 12:02 am
(19) VicWI says:

Only had mine 3 weeks. I use my MBP a few hours each day. Still at 100%. Expect it to last months. I turned it off the first few days but now don’t bother.

January 23, 2010 at 8:34 am
(20) Steve says:

Tom, apologies for the late reply, but thanks for clearing that up. That is the kind of information I couldn’t find even with a thorough web search!

I hope this information finds everyone else making that decision between lower and higher rated batteries.

I suppose I just had a case of bad luck and every high-rated battery I got was a crummy dud. These were Sony and Sanyo batteries, the Sony ones were absolutely the worst!! They completely died in less than a few months! As for the Sanyo ones… The lower rated Sanyo batteries lasted longer than the higher rated ones I got. Might just be bad batteries — am definitely willing to test this again now that I’m confident with the details you’ve provided.

Nothing better than good ol’ fashioned long explanations. This is the stuff I wish was still the norm these days… Unfortunately, there are too many people who’d rather not know how their stuff worked, hence we are seeing manuals made for ‘idiots’ (without nitty-gritty details). Heck, I have an old Toshiba blender that tells you how to disassemble the unit and change the electrical wiring inside! You don’t get that these days… But then again, there’s a good reason why some people shouldn’t be attempting home repairs…

Ah well… Went completely off topic there, but again.. Thanks for taking time to re-educate me there. That just made my day :) (who said good info wasn’t free?)

February 22, 2010 at 11:12 am
(21) Dean says:

3rd set of batteries since Jan 5. 8+ hours per day (work computer), I-Mac 27.5″, wired keyboard with numeric pad (original wireless is stored, no batteries).

I am very disappointed with the battery life. 2 other Magic Mice used with Macbook pros in the office, same hours of use, batteries last 2-3 months. Mine last 2-3 weeks. Too bad. Very nice product otherwise.

February 25, 2010 at 4:25 pm
(22) MCasella says:

I just got the 27″ iMac with the i7 processor 2 weeks and a couple days ago. Today the batteries in my “Magic Mouse” magically made me run to the store for new batteries. Magic Mouse SUCKS!!! The lack of extra buttons for navigation and other features combined with just over 2 weeks of batter life leaves much to be desired. I turn the mouse off at the end of each workday or when I step away from my desk to take a break or go to lunch and still just over 2 weeks of batter life…what a bunch of crap! Way to go Apple!!

February 28, 2010 at 4:39 am
(23) Jay Marcase says:

I recently purchased the iMac 27” on 10th of February and I’m already on my 3rd set of batteries. Not only does my Magic Mouse frequently cut off it sucks the life out of batteries like no other. I will definitely be purchasing another mouse very soon! Multi-touch is awesome but what good is it if it cannot get the basic things right?

March 2, 2010 at 3:26 am
(24) newhus says:

I switched to Energizer “Ultimate!” Lithium Batteries for the decreased weight (I was used to the usb mouse, and comparatively wireless mice feel like rocks…) 40 days ago. They died today. I can’t believe Apple makes a product that requires us to buy (and throw in a landfill) BATTERIES. What is this, 1974?

March 5, 2010 at 11:31 am
(25) Nick says:

I have to say that I’m flying through batteries with this mouse. I’m using Duracell Plus Akaline MN1500 and am only getting 2-3 weeks usage. It does get a full 8 hour a day usage but compared to previous wireless mice I’ve had this sets a new record. I hope a firmware update can address this issue coz I’m feeling a bit guilty from an environmental perspective!

March 7, 2010 at 7:46 pm
(26) Jerry says:

Comparisons with Logitech and other wirleless mice may not be appropriate because the Magic Mouse is hard at work even when your fingers are merely hovering over the surface – you are powering a wireless trackpad AND a mouse.

I like my Magic Mouse a great deal, but I really wish it wasn’t wireless.

March 15, 2010 at 3:21 pm
(27) Chris says:

Am I ever glad I found this comment area … I thought I was the only one who was appalled at the short battery life and the terrible waste issue. Apple must have noticed the short life during their testing process.
Ok … so with my next set, I will not hover my hand and I will keep the mouse stationary and see if I get an extra day! At least it is not in constant contact with my keyboard … that battery is fine.

March 18, 2010 at 8:53 am
(28) LB says:

I’ve been having the same problem–work computer, used 8+ hours a day. Both the original set of batteries and the replacements lasted about 3 weeks each. I just got a “low battery” warning today.

I wish apple had designed these to dock in a charging station at night, like an iPod.

March 18, 2010 at 8:11 pm
(29) Wippo says:

I have had nothing but bad luck with the battery life. I have tried every brand of alkaline battery and several different brands (and capacity )rechargeable batteries…. frustrating. Most battery types go a few days and some last a few hours. The ultimate test – my kids. They love gadgets and the magic mouse sits in a basket while they use a corded USB mouse. Any ideas before this one hits the magic dumpster would be appreciated!

March 23, 2010 at 3:44 pm
(30) Scott M says:

I definitely agree with Marko. Get the pre-charged, low self-discharge, hybrid, whatever-they’re-called batteries over large capacity regular NiMH batteries. They are also handy for keeping around because you don’t need to worry about them losing their charge sitting on the self for a couple months like regular NiMH.

April 6, 2010 at 9:50 am
(31) susan says:

Well this makes me feel a lot better. I came to this site frustrated because my magic mouse batteries only last six weeks before needing to be changed. I guess that’s practically a world record! Still, totally agree with the comment that apple shoulda thought of something better, like a rechargeable dock you could rest your mouse in when you’re not using it.

April 8, 2010 at 3:07 am
(32) Mika says:

Well, I’m just planning to purchase a Mac with the Magic Mouse, so I can’t give any battery life data yet. But I’m actually rather surprised that anyone uses primary batteries (the disposable ones) on any device that’s in continuous use and consumes enough power to drain the batteries in a few weeks. The low discharge NiMHs (Sanyo Eneloop, GP Recyco etc) are better in pretty much all aspects. You’ll save money, nerves and environment. You can have a spare set fully charged, never run out of batteries just when you least need it. They won’t leak to kill your mouse like alkalines tend to do if completely drained. There are quite low cost sets that come with a decent charger, so it won’t take years before you start saving.

April 9, 2010 at 10:29 am
(33) Fiona says:

I just got my iMac a few days ago. I’ve been turning off the keyboard and mouse when not using them – is this the best idea or should I not bother if they ‘go to sleep’ when not in use?

June 7, 2010 at 12:05 pm
(34) Korova says:

The batteries that came with the Magic Mouse lasted about a month. I then put in some regular alkaline ones from Ikea. They usually last quite a long time. But not now. I haven’t even used the MM for a month and already they’re almost empty. I have some rechargeable NiMH AA 2100 and 2500 batteries lying around unused. So I’m going to try those and see how they hold up.
Aside from the low battery life, I’m a bit disappointed that such a green company makes products that run on batteries.

June 7, 2010 at 12:16 pm
(35) Korova says:

Maybe you guys have already read this, but I found some more information on the web:

June 9, 2010 at 9:26 am
(36) cecilia says:

My magic mouse runs out of batteries disappointly quickly as well…3 weeks to a month. I will try your advice.

June 9, 2010 at 2:41 pm
(37) Jerry says:

Follow-up on my earlier comment – I’ve heard some people have difficulty with NiMH (presumably because the voltage is lower), so I chose NiZn. It’s a fairly new sort of batter that has a higher voltage and lower toxicity than its peers. The energy content in the batteries is similar to a high-end NiMH.

June 18, 2010 at 7:11 am
(38) Korova says:

Well, I tried the NiMH AA 2100 rechargable batteries. They ran out today. 11 days… Going to try the 2500 ones next.

July 31, 2010 at 9:17 am
(39) George in NY says:

Kept track of useage and rapid battery death, even exchanged MM with Apple for testing, no matter. MM SUCKS batteries dry in 14 to 30 days.

George in NY

August 10, 2010 at 8:56 pm
(40) kelleyer says:

My MM also sucks batteries dry in a very short time, and it also keeps losing its Bluetooth connection which, of course, turns the mouse into a pretty paper weight. I love the multi-touch functions but the problems are beginning to outweigh the features. I wish we had the option of a wired Magic Mouse, that would fix all the problems I have with the thing.

September 12, 2010 at 2:12 am
(41) William Johnson says:

I’m amazed at all these people complaining that their Magic Mouse batteries last “only a month”. Mine last one week, period. That’s true for either Energizers or Duracells. I use the mouse about 12 to 14 hours a day, and turn it off at night. I have no idea why different people are getting such variable results. Could it be the distance from the Mac? The kind of antenna in the Mac? Mine is a Mac Pro (metal case) 4 or 5 feet from the mouse, and under the desk.

I like the mouse but I’m going to have to stop using it before it bankrupts me.

September 12, 2010 at 12:03 pm
(42) Tom Nelson says:

Mobee has a new battery and charging system for the Magic Mouse that looks interesting:

Tom

October 1, 2010 at 12:14 pm
(43) Tim says:

I also am disappointed with the battery life of my NIMH batteries when paired with a MM. Part of me wants to revert back to my USB laser mouse (Rosewill, under $20 and has lasted around 5 years just fine). I purchased 2100 NIMH low discharge batteries, I thought these were high capacity but the MM sucks juice out of them like a character from Twilight (just a guess, I’ve never read or seen it). Batteries last 2-3 weeks in MM. But, with a backup pair of low-discharge NIMH laying around, it’s not that big of a deal. I have a rapid smart charger for the 2100 NIMH batts so it only takes a few hours to charge. I found a site to get good deals on batteries and chargers. I got 6 NIMH batts and a rapid smart charger for around $20-$30: http://www.onlybatteries.com/

January 12, 2011 at 11:40 am
(44) Amzil says:

Very very disappointed with this mouse.
Though being a big fan of all apple products and after 6 month of using this mouse i qwitched back to the wired apple mouse again.
The batteries last always between 4 and 5 weeks.
And the biggest problem is that once the batteries hit about. 55% of their capacity you should expect a very very poor performance with a more disappointing tracking precision.
I would NOT recommend this “mouse” to anyone. Especually for long hours working people like myself.
Will try the new magic trackpad and just hope it will be better.

February 7, 2011 at 10:08 am
(45) Orlando SEO Company says:

Our office has a several magic mouses (mice) and we rarely get 3 weeks of use with our batteries. We have tried every type of battery, even Li-Ion with a similar life span. Our previous wireless mouses made by other companies last 2.5-3 months with typically 7-8 hour usage.

We even tested the magic mouse with turning it off using the bottom switch, this did nothing. We had to invest in rechargeable batteries and replace frequently. Whenever we go on the road to do online marketing presentations, we always bring extra batteries just in case.

CapturePointMedia.com

February 21, 2011 at 6:58 am
(46) Coleman Jim says:

Got a new 27″ iMac on 12/10/10 and am on my 4th set of batteries for the Magic Mouse as of 2/21/11 and am about to go to my 5th. This with everything off for 3 weeks while I was out of town over Christmas.

Still have the original Apple supplied batteries in the keyboard and they are still at 61% of capacity.

The original Apple supplied batteries in the Magic Mouse lasted 2 weeks and each replacement has been with fresh batteries or freshly recharged high capacity batteries.

No idea whats wrong but I’m going to call Apple and talk with them.

Jim

March 9, 2011 at 9:32 am
(47) snowleaopardin canada says:

Got a Magic Mouse Dec 25th ,010. Use it on a 21.5 iMac.
Usage approx 3-5 hrs. daily.
The original batteries ( not Energizers, but Eveready Advanced alkalines) are showing low battery now, March 09, 2011.Tested them on my dollar store tester, showing one in the yellow & the other red. They lasted 74 days.
Will monitor replacements & report.

June 14, 2011 at 3:56 am
(48) The Analyist says:

The thing is avoid using the scroll feature. By my experience that’s the cause draining the batteries so quick. Stick with the Energizer batteries. Duracell Coppertop are not recommended. Actually for the wireless keyboard are fine. Also when shutting down the computer turn off the mouse and if possible remove the batteries. I know it’s kind of a nuisance, but when I started doing that was able to use it for almost two months without need to replace them. The mouse batt’s were still at 56%.

November 9, 2011 at 1:41 pm
(49) Terry says:

My batteries for the wireless mouse last about a month.
The Mobee charger to eliminate batteries costs $40-$50.
The batteries cost 50 cents each, so $1 for two which means I am paying $1 per month for batteries.
So I can go 40-50 months (4 years +/-) buying batteries for this thing before it will equal the price of the charger.
Batteries seem like the more cost effective way to go unless you might keep your computer longer than 4-5 years.
And hopefully by then something better will be available.

March 17, 2012 at 10:45 am
(50) Dave says:

Christmas present Dec 25th 2010.
First week of March 2011, ‘low battery’ symbol appeared.
March 09,2011, opened the back of the mouse, there were 2 Eveready Advanced AA batteries in it. I tested them & one was showing in lower yellow range & the other upper red.
I had 2 Memorex Energy Plus AA’s & tested them. One was middle green & the other lower green, will monitor how long they last.

Original: Eveready Advanced alkaline Dec 25th ,2010- Mar 09, 2011.(74 days)
Replacements: Memorex Energy Plus March 09, 2011-May 2, 2011, showing ‘low battery’ (lasted 53 days) changed to 2 new same type. tested, were both just below yellow range
July 5 2011 showing “ low battery” -changed them with Memorex Energy+
testing showed upper ‘red’ zone. May 2-July 5 ,( 66 days)
Sept 3, 2011 showing ‘low battery’ ( 60 days) changed with the last 2 memorex Energy+ AA
Oct 26, 2011 the ‘low battery’ icon appeared. ( 53 days) changed to 2AA Duracells
Dec 27 2011 showing low battery, lasted 62 days; replaced with 2 AA from same pkg as the last batch.
March 11 2012 ,has been showing ‘low battery’ icon for 2 days, changed them today.75 days ,longest yet w/ same Duracell pkg.
Average daily use, emails and some searches.

August 29, 2012 at 12:07 pm
(51) Bill says:

My first Apple wireless mouse with the 2008 iMac 24″ OSX 10.5 would last 6 months @ 2-3 hours per day. Very good on Duracell AA. My Second Apple mouse with the 27″ iMac OSX 10.8, lasts 3-4 weeks on the same AA batteries, granted I use it 4-6 hours per day. I noticed a huge difference with my second mouse and the newer OSX versions. I talked to the friend I sold the original 24″ iMac and mouse to 9 months ago. They are still on the same set of batteries I gave them!!! I want that model back.

September 18, 2013 at 7:40 am
(52) Sheree says:

I have had problems with power fluctuation from Duracell batteries, so I went to the mac store and talked to the salesperson there and they recommended I should use the batteries from Apple. I would recommend doing this as they’ve lasted me nearly 3 years now and still charge fairly well. They also don’t fluctuate with different power levels and cause the mouse to disconnect all the time.

December 9, 2013 at 12:36 pm
(53) Jason says:

I’ve had my Mac Mini for about year and half. The efficiently small wireless keyboard and mouse are very very appreciated. I like how utterly responsive they are. Its the first wireless Apple kb/mouse I’ve owned. I was impressed. Other keyboard and mice now feel big and “clunky”.

However, the battery life is a weak point. Using the most expensive batteries I could purchase, the kb lasted 2 months and the mouse 3 weeks. After the 2nd set of batteries in the mouse, I switched both out for a Logitech mouse and keyboard set.

Luckily, they have model of keyboard and mouse that are the aesthetic I appreciate from Apple’s. The Logitech kb has all the keys in the same exact place with the command key labeled. The mouse is very low profile, has the same touch surface motions enabled and it comes either white or black. They both have been working for 8 months so far since I last charged them with the usb cable (batteries are internal).

January 18, 2014 at 11:26 am
(54) Jake says:

Have had to change batteries on mouse every few weeks until recently. Battery Low came on after less than a DAY. ONE DAY. This is beyond ridiculous and frustrating. I have read many complaints about this. What does Apple have to say?

February 1, 2014 at 2:59 pm
(55) david says:

I’ve been using the same set of 4 rechargeables in my mouse and keyboard for 2 years (started in January 2012). They are Energizer, 2000 mah. I have kept excellent records of every time I took them out to recharge them. We use a Mac desktop with wireless keyboard and mouse at home, not business.
At first they lasted 2 – 3 months in the mouse and 3-4 months in the keyboard. After 1.5 years, usable time went down to 1-2 months in the mouse and same in keyboard. Now mouse is down to 1 month between charges, and keyboard is down to 2 weeks. I guess they are wearing down, and I’ll have to buy new rechargeables. Might try the higher mah rated ones.