1. Computing

Tom Nelson

Apple Releases Firmware Update for 2012 Mac mini to Fix HDMI Issues

By December 10, 2012

Apple today released a new EFI update for the Mac mini that is said to correct a problem with using the Mac mini's HDMI output.

ALT TEXT

Courtesy of Apple

Ever since the 2012 Mac mini was released in the fall of 2012, there have been occasional reports of poor image stability or quality when connecting the HDMI output directly to the HDMI port on an HDTV. The usual complaint was flickering or poor image quality, usually involving color rendition.

Surprisingly, when the HDMI port was used with a DVI adapter, the issues tended to go away. Among those who used the Thunderbolt port to drive a display, no image issues were ever reported.

The problem seemed to be caused by the Intel HD Graphics 4000 chip that drives the HDMI port. Intel produced an update to the graphics in the form of a new driver, but until now, Apple hadn't released the update.

This update to the EFI firmware is said to correct the HDMI video issues. You can download the update via the Software Update item in the Apple menu, or directly from Apple's support web site.

If the update does indeed correct the HDMI video problem, then the new Mac mini may be a great candidate to serve as the central component in a home theater system.

If you have the 2012 Mac mini, please leave a message here letting us know if you had the video problem, and if this update corrected it.

Comments
December 17, 2012 at 9:10 pm
(1) Tim says:

Hi. Just got Mac mini. It has latest firmware and hdmi to hdmi is lousy. No matter what setting. Right out of box no software added. It is a 720p lcd 24 in TV. Resolution and image quality is lousy. Cant look at it. I went back to my dell display with the dvi adapter and that is fine. So if they say it is fixed they are not accurate. They may have fixed some issues but not all. The e driver fix is what I think is needed now but they have not released it yet. Thanks Tim.

December 26, 2012 at 9:01 pm
(2) Doug says:

Tried the update and the monitor image is the same as before.

February 3, 2013 at 4:39 pm
(3) Marcos says:

What a disappointment!!! A brand new Mac Mini i7 and the HDMI output quality to my Samsung 1080 24″ is ridiculuous!! I’m running Mountain Lion’s latest update and there’s no help but to use a adaptor to a VGA port to make it look descent… shame on you, APPLE!

February 13, 2013 at 6:31 pm
(4) Daniel says:

Same here!! Mac Mini i7 and HDMI to HDMI in my samsung hdtv monitor 24″ looks horrible, so i had to use the adapter HDMI to DVI on my other samsung 22″ monitor.

March 20, 2013 at 5:29 pm
(5) Mr A Cotton says:

I bought an iMac which had a fault. It`s a long story,but in short on the 4th of March Apple gave me a full refund. I went through 2 new iMacs same fault,and i am not going to buy another iMac,because they have a fault.
So i am looking to buy a Mac Mini,because i am using one off 2007 hooked up to a Samsung Monitor using VGA.
By your column it seems i will not be buying the new mac mini,because i had a terrible time trying to get my money back off the iMac..
Can you tell me if Apple has fully fixed the problem with the Mac Mini,or do you still after download the firmware update 1.7 that addresses the HDMI problem.

April 17, 2013 at 2:46 pm
(6) V says:

I just bought a mac mini last week, with lastest OSX 10.8.3. but the HDMI problem still there.
everything is normal untill yesterday i turn the mac on and it just flickering every 2sec .i can’t even shut down my mac ,all i can do is unplug the power cord.But nothing has change when i restart it ,it just keep flickering .
i’m so disappointed with the mac mini and going to refund within this week. terrible mistake from apple.

May 6, 2013 at 2:22 pm
(7) Stacy Dudley says:

My Mac Mini HDMI out looks fine but the problem I am having is intermittent output problems to the monitor. It randomly loses sync or just goes blank. Whatever the case, I get nothing. It just goes black and the monitor starts flashing “NO INPUT”.

I originally thought it was a problem with the monitor I have not the mini, but now I am using it with my HD TV and I get the same problem.

June 1, 2013 at 6:36 am
(8) Anders says:

Same issue here, more or less.
I have a Mac mini from 2012 with a Philips HD TV via HDMI. It flickers/goes blank and for some reason it some times invert the colors for several minutes and then goes back to normal. Very irritating. I can not install the drivers suggested in this article, because it say that it’s not “supported buy your system”.

July 23, 2013 at 8:59 am
(9) paul says:

I phoned up Apple regarding the Mac Mini and HDMI issues, they told me to reset the VRAM and System Management Controller. Haven’t had a chance to do this yet. Anyone know if this is a good solution or not?

July 29, 2013 at 11:58 am
(10) Mr Anthony Cotton says:

So if I was to buy a new Mac Mini now it would be faulty.
To me they are breaking the law by selling goods that are faulty.
That`s the law in England.
Having said that by the comments up above prove that it is faulty.
It`s a disgrace!!!

August 19, 2013 at 12:22 pm
(11) sam says:

I wish I had come across this post last week. My i7 mac mini arrived today. Tried 3 different hdmi cables which work with other products. No signal with mac mini. 700 and it can’t connect to a monitor. I’ve of barebones but this kinda takes the mick.

August 19, 2013 at 7:28 pm
(12) Sam says:

Update from earlier post, went to the Apple store and bought a mini display port to vga just to update the firmware. This worked fine, everything is updated but HDMI still doesn’t work. Looks like I may have to give up on the Mac Mini. I am already using the VGA port with something else. My only option is HDMI which doesn’t work.

I’ve always bought Apple products but my Iphone 5 and the Mac Mini have both been major let downs. Both products have failed to deliver what was originally promised.

Sorry to sound like a sulking git. Just frustrating to see that after almost a year there is still no resolution to poor coverage on the Iphone 5 and Hmdi issues on the Mac Mini.

August 23, 2013 at 4:02 pm
(13) Mark Cutler says:

Re Anders comment above.

I too have a philips tv and the mac mini 2012 edition, basic model. I have experienced colour inversion which flicks in and then back to normal. i have thought about the nVRAM reset but i am using an old logitech keyboard for windows so dont know which keys to hold down to perform the reset. I dont have a control or command key. any help

August 23, 2013 at 4:25 pm
(14) Tom says:

You may find this helpful:

What are the Windows keyboard equivalents for the Mac’s special keys?

September 11, 2013 at 6:10 pm
(15) xChris says:

Got my mac mini just a week ago… Black screens and snow (static signal) from time to time, I am pissed off with Apple! It was supposed that the firmware upgrade fixed the issue.. bullsh***** My mac came with the latest f/ware.. so I will call the apple and demand immediate fix/repair!