1. Computing

Tom Nelson

Which Current Mac Would You Buy?

By February 25, 2013

If you were going to buy a Mac system this year, which model would you be most interested in? With Apple offering a wide range of products, from ultra portables like the MacBook Air, to desktop offerings in the iMac lineup, there are many possibilities.

Cast your vote and let us know which of these Apple products you would choose as your computing platform. If you would like to leave a comment about your choice, please do so below.

Comments
February 27, 2013 at 3:36 pm
(1) Rick Mayberry says:

I have an early-2011 Macbook Pro 13.1″ and am very happy with it. I also have a 2008 Mac Pro that serves my increasingly infrequent desktop needs, but the larger display is more friendly to these 60 year-old eyes. If I was to buy a new Mac this year, a 15″ Macbook Pro would be my choice – a good balance of power, portability and visibility!

February 27, 2013 at 3:38 pm
(2) Gary Estler says:

It’s a MacBook Pro with Retina Display for me. I need heavy-duty power but also portability and want to be able to take advantage of the speed of solid state memory. And I want the retina display because it is gorgeous. Yes, this option is pricey but I still want it. I’m just waiting for my 2008 MacBook Pro to fail. I’ve maxed it out with RAM and put in a 7200 rpm hybrid hard drive and it is doing everything I need it to do.

February 27, 2013 at 4:20 pm
(3) F Jaime Mejia says:

Back in 2010 I purchased a 13″ Macbook Pro. To make my nightmare history short I will say this…….. After spending almost 2012 going back and forth to 2 Apple stores. The manager of the Pleasanton, California finally agreed, under my Appple Care plan protection I bought, to exchange the defective unit. The Logic board on the macbook was not working properly and they could not fix it. So I got a new unit as an exchanged product the last week of January 2013.
Guess what? two weeks after I got the new unit……… AGAIN… THE LOGIC BOARD ON THE NEW MACBOOK PRO IS ACTING UP AGAIN AND I BROUGHT IT TO THE APPLE STORE FOR THEM TO FIX IT. AND I DOUBT THEY WILL FIX IT. A BRAND NEW UNIT HAVING ISSUES WITH THE LOGIC BOARD? WOW!!!!!

I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER APPLE PRODUCT. THEIR QUALITY CONTROL HAS GONE DOWNHILL AND THEIR PRODUCTS ARE BAD. THEY TREAT YOU AS IF IT IS YOUR FAULT.!

February 27, 2013 at 4:51 pm
(4) Reidofloch says:

I hear that Apple have withdrawn the Mac Pro from sale in the UK because it no longer complies with EU safety regulations.

Perhaps the problem will be dealt with if Apple ever get round to updating the Mac Pro.

February 27, 2013 at 5:10 pm
(5) Jon Spangler says:

Who says one Mac is enough?

I own a mid-2009 MacBook Pro 13. I want an Air for portability + keyboard
with less weight to replace it but…

I also want either a 15-inch MBPro or a Mini to replace my 2009 MBPro on the desk and push my 27 in Viewsonic LED monitor. with full-sized keyboard. (A Pro would be nice but is too large for our small office.)

If Apple downsized the Pro to half the volume but retained the processing power and some upgradeability I would be very interested in it….

February 27, 2013 at 5:12 pm
(6) Michael Paine says:

Got a new 27″ iMac early in January. Fusion drive is great – especially for processing videos. It lacks an optical disk drive and so I have bought an MCE Blu-ray burner instead of an Apple Superdrive. This works well. Blu-ray movies on the improved iMac screen are brilliant.

February 27, 2013 at 5:54 pm
(7) Noreen Kucharski says:

I have a Mac Mini bought Aug. 2008. Never any problems. I will buy another Mini when this one dies. I have had an Apple computer since 1991.

February 28, 2013 at 1:42 am
(8) Seppo Niemi says:

I have used iMacs as long as they have been available, besides Apple laptops. It’ll be iMac again. Yet, I do need CD/DVD drive, it’s extremely important for my work, so I’ll purchase one. May it be it past or not.

February 28, 2013 at 6:59 am
(9) Kit Peters says:

Which shall I buy?

I am an Apple addict, but I am somewhat disillusioned with the faults I have suffered in some of my Mac products – and the arrogance occasionally bothers me. None-the-less, I would never stray back to a PC world .. my next purchase will be the iMac 27inch .. and then another iPad.
Bugger it .. I know its bad for me .. just give me more!

March 1, 2013 at 7:45 pm
(10) cordelia says:

got a macbook pro in late 2011 to replace an ibook, then noticed had not turned on the imac for a year, so traded it in for an ipad. am totally into portability!

March 5, 2013 at 3:07 am
(11) Marcella says:

I have an iMac, the 2007 model. I bought a swivel stand for it at the same time which makes it easy to turn the screen. I would gladly buy another iMac. I would like the 21 inch screen, any larger bothers my eyes. I have an iPad 3rd generation with a keyboard for portability. Touch wood, I’ve had nothing but good luck with my Apple products. I would never consider buying a PC, not ever.