Many applications let you customize their interface, but some of them make you work at it. Customizing the toolbar in Apple Mail is a piece of cake. All it takes is a little clicking and dragging.
Add Icons to the Mail Toolbar
- To customize the Mail toolbar, right-click in a blank area of the toolbar and select Customize Toolbar from the pop-up menu.
- Click the icon of your choice to select it, and then drag it to the toolbar. When you've finished adding icons, click the Done button.
Rearrange the Mail Toolbar
- If you drag an icon to the wrong location, or you're just not happy with the way the toolbar looks, you can easily reorganize it. To move an icon in the toolbar, click the icon to select it and then drag it to the target location.
- To remove an icon from the toolbar, right-click the icon and select Remove Item from the pop-up menu.
Change the Mail Toolbar View
By default, the Mail Toolbar displays icons and text, but you can change to just icons or just text if you prefer.
- If you have the customize window open, click the Show dropdown menu in the bottom left corner of the window and select Icon and Text, Icon Only, or Text Only.
- If you don't have the customize window open, right-click a blank area of the toolbar. Select Icon and Text, Icon Only, or Text Only from the pop-up menu.
Return the Mail Toolbar to the Default Arrangement
- If you get carried away with clicking and dragging icons, it's easy to start over. To return the Mail toolbar to the default arrangement, right-click in a blank area of the toolbar and select Customize toolbar from the pop-up menu.
- Click and drag the default set of icons from the bottom of the customize window to the Mail toolbar, and then click the Done button.