The last step in Mac printer sharing is to add the shared printer to your Windows XP PC.
Add a Shared Printer to XP
- Select Start, Printers and Faxes.
- In the window that opens, click on the ‘Add a Printer’ item from the sidebar, or select ‘Add Printer’ from the File menu.
- The Add Printer Wizard will start up. Click the ‘Next’ button to continue.
- The wizard needs to know if you are adding a local printer or one on a network. Select ‘A network printer, or a printer attached to another computer’ and click ‘Next.’
- Select the ‘Browse for a printer’ option. This will let your Windows XP computer check the network for any available printers. Click ‘Next.’
- You should see all of the computers and any network devices that are part of the Workgroup. You may need to expand the listing by clicking on the Workgroup name or the computer name before all of the network devices will be listed.
- Select the shared printer attached to your Mac from the list, then click ‘Next.’
- A warning message about adding a printer driver to your XP machine will display. Click ‘Yes.’
- Another warning message will display, telling you that the printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. Click the ‘OK’ button to begin the process of installing a driver in XP that can talk to the shared Mac printer.
- The wizard will display a two-column list. Use the two columns to select the make and model of the printer attached to your Mac. Click ‘OK.’
- The wizard will finish up by asking if you would like to set the printer as the default printer in XP. Make your choices and click ‘Next.’
- Click ‘Finish’ to close the Add Printer Wizard.
- That’s it; the process of installing a shared printer on your XP computer is complete. Click the ‘Finish’ button.